51.75 F
Rexburg
September 28, 2021
Uncategorized

California utility will not be prosecuted over the deadly 2018 Woolsey fire

A firefighter keeps watch as the Woolsey Fire burns a home in Malibu, California on Friday, Nov. 9, 2018. The California Department of Justice will not pursue criminal charges against utility company Southern California Edison for its role in starting the 2018 Woolsey Fire. (Ringo H.W. Chiu, CNN)

LOS ANGELES — The California Department of Justice will not pursue criminal charges against utility company Southern California Edison for its role in starting the 2018 Woolsey Fire, which killed three people and destroyed more than 1,600 structures, the department said Friday.

An investigative report previously concluded the wildfire was ignited by utility equipment in fierce winds. It charred about 97,000 acres across Los Angeles and Ventura counties and forced the evacuation of nearly 300,000 people.

In 2019, SCE acknowledged its possible role. “Absent additional evidence, Southern California Edison believes it is likely that its equipment was associated with the ignition of the Woolsey Fire,” the utility said in a statement.

However, after an investigation that involved the Attorney General’s office, the Department of Forestry and Fire Protection and the Ventura County Fire Department, there was “insufficient evidence to establish beyond a reasonable doubt” that utility company violated the law when its equipment sparked the massive fire, the state Department of Justice said in a news release.

In order for Southern California Electric to be held criminally liable, prosecutors would not only need to prove the equipment caused the fire, but also that the company was aware that its actions presented a substantial risk of causing a fire, the department said.

Prosecutors would also need to prove the company violated state penal code by ignoring this risk and that doing so was a “gross deviation from what a reasonable utility would have done in the same situation,” it said.

The families of the three victims who were killed in the fire have been notified of the Justice Department’s decision, the release said.

“Acknowledging the tragic loss of life and offering condolences to the families, the California Attorney General’s Office has therefore closed the investigation into this matter,” the Justice Department said.

Utilities have been repeatedly blamed for their equipment sparking some of California’s largest and most destructive wildfires, with SCE’s equipment found to have also ignited the 2017 Thomas Fire that at the time became the largest in state history and later resulted in mudslides that killed 21 people.

Related Stories

Alexandra Meeks

More stories you may be interested in

Related posts

Inmate with COVID-19 sues Department of Corrections for shuffling prisoners amid outbreaks

N L

Tokyo Summer Games: Can you win gold in historical summer games trivia?

N L

More than 10K mostly Haitian migrants sleeping under Texas bridge, more expected

N L

Federal mandate takes vaccine decision off employers’ hands

N L

Ochoa, Onuoha mark beginning, end as Real Salt Lake close 2020 season with 2-0 loss to Sporting Kansas City

N L

Higher ed board adopts guide to look at its decisions through an 'equity lens'

N L